Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Quality

Emma has taken a week off work to coincide with the start of Alex’ six week school holiday. After that, Alex will spend day-times with his Dad, with his Grandpa, with me, and with some school pals.

At the end of Holiday Day #1:

Shane: You alright?
Emma: (unconvincingly) Yeah.
Shane: A good day?
Emma: Yeah – we did a lot. He liked playing with Molly – and I got to talk to Harriette – which was good. He also thought it was hilarious leading our bike ride round the woods – I’m not cut-out for that sort of thing - it was mud galore – I got mud on my face!
Shane: (amused) Did he accidentally wheel-spin in front of you?
Emma: Yes! How did you know that?
Shane: I taught him how to do it – he got me with the same trick yesterday. He’s good. I felt very proud.
Emma: (pause) I’m knackered, I can’t keep up with him and it’s only Day One of the holiday!
Shane: Oh dear.
Emma: This ‘quality time’ – it’s shit!
Shane: But, what was it again… ‘I really want to spend the full week with him – cos we don’t often get to do that, and we’ll both benefit from some quality time…’
Emma: Oh, fuck off.
Shane: (amused) Now then, that conversation about having children and so on – would now be a good time?
Emma: You’d get a shock if I said ‘Yes’.
Shane: Actually yeah, I would. Maybe we can talk later… Two thousand fifteen ok with you?
Emma: I’m going to bed.
Shane: Sexy-
Emma: (sternly) No.
Shane: Not sexy-
Emma: Correct.

And there, we have the modern family… at leisure.

5 comments:

Joanna Cake said...

My own kids are now teenagers but I remember the days you are talking about well. I was a stay at home mum and loved the holidays because we didnt have to get up for school. We used to do loads of 'making' stuff at home together and would go out as part of two post-natal groups. However, as they started to get older it seemed that the more stimulation they got, the more they demanded. So it wasnt just one or two days a week with activities, they were demanding to do stuff every day or they got bored and fractious. I think back to when I was a kid. My sister and I used to play with the other kids in the street. We used to make music or play hide and seek or imaginary games for hours and we didnt want or need any adult participation. Sometimes I think the kids of today have forgotten how to use their imagination in the face of the great 'immediate satisfaction' cult that has built up around us. Very enjoyable blog.

LB said...

the three year old, the missus and I have been playing frisbee in the park all afternoon today. I am *shattered*.

"this quality time - it's shit" is, however, a Great Quote.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Wonderful vignette. Made me smile.

Pat said...

Looking back I don't know how I managed it!

OldHorsetailSnake said...

It's amazing, innit? No matter what question you ask (Can we talk in 2015?), the answer never relates (I'm going to bed.) Do only women do that?