Sunday, March 15, 2009

Comic

Throughout Friday, I witnessed attempts at being 'funny for money'. Yes, Comic Relief. With many a motivation good and proper, it's hard to be (publically) critical - try as I might.

Let us turn back the clock.

It is evening, almost 9pm. We are wound-down, following a tough week. We are watching BBC One. Alex is curled into his mother's arms, and I'm wondering about the costs and multiple revenues of this television production.

A genuinely moving short film ends with the narrator stating:
.
'It is your continued support that enables Comic Relief to keep on helping these children of alcoholic parents'.

Contemplative silence. Broken, thus:

Alex: What about chocaholic parents?

Emma: (stifles laugh)

Shane: Hmm. I don't think it's quite as tough for those with chocaholic parents.

Alex: Mm.

It's the funniest thing I've heard all day. I promptly donate.

(I did also enjoy the short film from Outnumbered. Claire Skinner, as the mum, is really good.)

2 comments:

LB said...

At least this year there was no "repeats" of the little videoettes they make to encourage you to donate. Last time round I had seen the same films twice by the time I went to bed which made me irrationally grumpy.

Don't you think Davina is very good at this sort of thing? I think she manages to tread a very good line between "sincere" and "emotional".

Pat said...

It must be a constant joy to have Alex's sayings. You may like to record them. (I mean write them down) I regret so much that I didn't with my 20 yr old grandson who frequently had us in stitches.