Saturday, March 08, 2008

Backside

Oh, the weekend, the weekend.

Emma: Y' know, though I hate to say it, I'm really glad that Alex is with Ed this weekend.
Shane: You don't have to hate to say it - you deserve a break, and besides, it's good for Ed and Alex.
Emma: Mm. And thank god there's no Mother's Day this weekend either.
Shane: What d' y' mean?
Emma: Mm?
Shane: What was wrong with Mother's Day?
Emma: Oh, nothing, nothing at all. You did very well.
Shane: But...?
Emma: Whose idea was the treasure hunt?
Shane: Alex’s.
Emma: Mm. It was good… though it did feel a bit too much like work at times.
Shane: What d’ y’ mean?
Emma: Well, as other mums would have been lying in bed, having their breakfast and the paper brought to them, you both had me going outside to the car to retrieve ‘Clue Number One’, that led me into the shed, then back upstairs to the bathroom, rummaging through papers in the computer room, digging amongst the plant-pot stack, and then - as if it were some kind of statement of boyish pride and enterprise - up the tree! In my pyjamas! And before any breakfast or coffee or papers… impressive - but hardly relaxing.
Shane: We admired your spirit.
Emma: Indeed. Can I make a request that you focus on ‘relaxation’ when it comes to my birthday.
Shane: (thinks ‘Shit! Too late) Mm, of course.


Aston Villa Football Club's motto is 'Prepared'. I quite like that, it sort of... resonates.

3 comments:

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Noooooo, Shane, that is very very wrong! Think nice hotel, possibly with spa; good restaurant; gentle walk along beach or through woods, or alternatively a little light shopping/sightseeing if in an urban location; theatre maybe. Think pampering, treats, relaxation.

Pat said...

Poor Emma- that really made me laugh.
And just think there's hunt the Easter eggs coming soon - all over the garden again. I was introduced to that one by the Sussex family but as Grandma I just have to watch benignly.

OldHorsetailSnake said...

So, are we going to get a play-by-play of the birthday? Sounds like just what she needs/doesn't need.