Monday, February 08, 2010

pride

It feels like quite a while, since I was 'myself'.

The context for this is simple and clear. It has become the norm, for me to put others' interests ahead of my own. Or to imagine those others' interests to be my own - which, in part, they are. Fine lines. But I've known, for quite some time, that I have to re-take Shane (what foul foul wording), if I'm to content myself. And so, small steps though they are, I've let Emma know that I'll not be joining her and Alex at a festival in late August - a festival that I'm sure would be good, but one that would also become lost to me, as I'd end up being far more occupied with other peoples' children, rather than the much more interesting adults who'd be on hand. So I've said 'Thanks, but no thanks' to that. Alex' Dad will also be around, along with various other friends and relatives, so there'll be no shortage of bodies.

And I've booked in a trip to London, end of the month, when I'll be getting to the Riverside Studios (Fool for Love) and Soho Theatre (A Life in Three Acts).

Oh, and I've not done anything like enough football over the past few months to keep me spiritually right. So tomorrow evening, I'll be at Pride Park, Derby, for the visit of Newcastle United.

And just in case you're wondering, I haven't gone all dip trip fantasia - 'spiritually right?'. I mean happy. It's simple stuff, that just happens to get waylaid sometimes.

10 comments:

Carnalis said...

Never underestimate the happy. I hope you enjoy the footy.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely. The unqualified part of 'happy' is important, even if it's only slightly offsetting life's other interests, vested or altruistic. Most importantly: art thou home or away?

Queenie said...

Hurrah HURRAH!!!

Shane said...

C - Ta. But, 'footy' is puffy and southern. We say 'footer' - with earthy dearthy north east accent, like.
B - home/away... I'll be practically sat on Nigel Clough's lap. Though I do want the geordies to bag promotion. Also, you should get yourself a little picture to go with your comments, just as C and Q have.
Q - Quite QUITE!!!

Meanwhile... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meanwhile... said...

If I just sign in on my blogger account... you see? My beautiful launderette. Insider knowledge c/o the Googlesphere, there. But on Weirdpress? No, nay, never! And did you make up your mind - might Aston be your Villa, so to speak?

Shane said...

M - Aston will not be my villa - that was a mind made up. (Am riding the hint of a crest of good stuff on that sort of front - cf. prev. refs to ceramics artists). Constant sideways glances are the norm, though, so it'll never be a case of lock-down.

Carnalis said...

i am, and shall forever remain, soft and southern.

Shane said...

I'll raise your soft and southern, with soft and northern.

Pat said...

Good for you:)